Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More about Grimstock after his privateering career


Most people think, and correctly, that most men who captained private vessels ended poorly. Henry Morgan was one that seemed to profit from his exploits. Until he died of liver failure thanks to sooo much rum.

For myself I am a great avoider of disasters. A hero I am not. Nor do I allow any heroism in the crew. Early in my career, shortly after my aquisition of the English frigate, I came to the attention of the Chevalier d'Leanor. He had been part of La Salle's doomed expedition to the Louisanne in 1687. He took his ship and left after bucanneers had devastated their fleet.



For a time he and I sailed together off Normandy and Africa. We took several prizes. Over the years he became less enamoured with the sea and ended his days, in agony with a case of severe gout, at his chateau in Marseille. When he died he left me a country house outside Paris. Here is an etching of said property.

The Comte died in 1695 and it took several months for me to know of his gift. Most of the years of my seaborn exploits I seldom saw the place. As time went on and my desire to be tossed about on the black and wicked seas waned, I took refuge here for longer periods. Until one day I found that I had become a country gentelman. I attened Versailles from time to time however I found the place oppresive.

Below is a photo of the place taken in morder times.

No comments:

Post a Comment