Sunday, November 22, 2009

I am on my way back to Tortuga.

After a lovely time at Vaux Le Comte with Meme. Fouqet I am on my way back to Tortuga. I was informed that the English ship Essex has gone down with many tens of thousands of pounds of gold in her off Gibraltar. I know nothing of the sinking of this vessel. And damn and blast that she went down before we could board her. Not that I know anything of such a ship in the first place.

Our last night at Vaux le Vicomte we were privy to a performance of Alceste under the stars. M. Lully has been dead now since 87', but his petite band and company survives, M. De la Lande performed. They were at Vaux and the Madame persuaded them to perform. We all took part. Everything about the French nobility is beyond ostentatious. Particularly those close to the king. A great treat was that Monsieur La Prince was also in attendance. He is a great poof, but is also a man of good nature and was a lot of fun. He told me that he was glad to be away from his brother the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment